5 harsh truths
1. Challengers are impacting all categories
After food (57%), some two fifths (39%) of consumers say they have switched to a challenger brand in toiletries, followed by alcohol (35%), beauty (34%), household products (32%), healthcare (31%), soft drinks (29%), and grooming products (28%).
2. The switch to challengers is likely to be permanent
44% say they intend to stick with the brand they’ve switched to.
3. Challengers are delivering to expectations
50% of respondents say challenger brands are seen to provide good value for money.
4. Higher consideration favours challenger brands
Especially true for food purchases, with over a half (60%) of shoppers saying that the more invested they are in a purchase the more likely they are to switch.
5. People recognise and respond positively to the Challenger mindset
People recognise and respond positively to the purpose and personality presented by Challengers – particularly younger consumers, aged 16-34.